Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Is ANYTHING Really Safe Anymore?

Or are we deluding ourselves in thinking that anything was ever safe to begin with? Back in 2007, I first heard about the dangers of 1,4-Dioxane and that the ingredient had been found in many of the fun bath products that my kids beg me to buy for them in the stores. As a result, I changed my buying habits when it came to such products - opting instead for those with "natural" or "organic" ingredients. Now, according to one of my favorite blogs, Green Mom Finds, even those products must be scrutinized. Apparently, the organic/natural cosmetics industry is prone to the same errors in judgment and lack of consideration in product manufacturing as the rest of the industry. And the kicker is that they don't even have to list it on the label!

So what is a concerned mother to do? Check out these tips provided by Green Mom Finds:
1) Look for products that bear the “USDA Organic” seal or that are German Natural “BDIH” Certified. These products are not allowed to contain 1,4-Dioxane.
2) Avoid buying products with the following ingredients: myreth, oleth, laureth, ceteareth, any other eth, PEG, polyethylene, polyethylene glycol, polyoxyethylene, or oxynol.

For even more info on this topic, please visit this link

And, again, I must give props to Green Mom Finds for posting all of this information first. Thanks and keep those news alerts coming!

1 comment:

Allison said...

It makes me wonder if we just read too much. No one knew about these things back when our parents were raising us.. and we are just fine. I don't know.. I am torn between what I read and what people do.

- Allison
http://envyla.net